Today I am here to link up with Kate and Adam of The Florkens for Don't Try So Hard! This is a link-up about appreciating our natural beauty. In blogging and in life, I know that I'm constantly trying to look better, impress people, seem like I have it all together, and if you've been reading this blog for any length of time or know me in real life, you know that I struggle with self-love and even self-like. I am actually REALLY nervous about sharing this no make-up, no hair style photo with the internet at large, but hey... you can be afraid and you can do it anyway, right?
Here's how the link-up works, from Kate and Adam's blog:
1. Take a picture of yourself -- without "trying so hard." Remove the makeup, forget the hair, don't overthink it, and just let your natural beauty shine through.
2. On Monday, July 28th, let your picture take center stage on your blog and remember to include at least one thing that you find beautiful about yourself. (Use the hashtag #donttrysohardlinkup on Twitter & Instagram to share your pictures and posts!)
3. Follow your hosts and linkup your post!
4. Click around to others who have linked up and show them some positive feedback in the comment section. Do you love their eyes? Do they have cute freckles? Maybe they naturally have a beautiful glow! Let's soak the blogosphere in positive thought and self confidence for one day!
5. Sit back and remember that you don't have to try so hard. While it's nice to do our makeup and hair, wear trendy outfits, stage the crap out of our pictures, etc., it is so much more important to remember that you are beautiful just as you are! Cheers!
So, I took this photo last night around 10:30 pm. It was the day after we moved, and I had spent the majority of Sunday painting the bedroom in our old condo (only to find out, moments after we finished painting, that we didn't have to paint it anymore... thanks, landlord). Then I got a headache that I attributed to paint fumes, dehydration, and low blood sugar, so Ken and I went to our favorite Chinese restaurant. Then we got home and I unceremoniously threw up all over our front step, and then all over the downstairs bathroom, because apparently, I had a migraine. WHEE. After cleaning everything up, I took a shower and my blood pressure decided to plummet, so then I couldn't stand up, which was super fun. I summoned the strength to blow dry my hair, only so I didn't soak through my pillow while being unconscious, and then took this photo. So yeah, I was really not trying hard at all.
Here it is, in all of its glory. However, I do have pretty great skin in this photo, my teeth are white, my hair is pretty blonde, and I have always loved having blue eyes. For 10:30 pm after a weekend of moving, I think I look pretty great. Honestly, I'm surprised I was standing at this point, so screw it, I look fabulous.
So there you have it. I hope that this post reminded you that you are beautiful, just as you are. Even if you spent the whole weekend moving and you had a migraine and threw up all over the front step of your new home. Yes, even then.
I'm going to go back to sorting through the chaos that is my life at the moment, but I'll be back tomorrow for Listed Tuesdays... moving edition! Don't forget to head over to The Florkens to link up your own post and check out everyone else's! Leave someone some love today on their au natural photos. We all deserve it.